This blog is the reincarnation of the old God Plays Dice, and is about mathematics, not anything to do with religion. The name is my answer to a quote of Einstein in a letter to Max Born: “Quantum mechanics is certainly imposing. But an inner voice tells me that it is not yet the real thing. The theory says a lot, but does not really bring us any closer to the secret of the ‘old one.’ I, at any rate, am convinced that He does not throw dice.” Every so often this blog gets referred to as “your blog with a German name”, which amuses me greatly because I only know a little German.
I used to think the Internet was awesome; parts of it are but it’s gone downhill.
You can access this site either from michaellugo.com or from gottwurfelt.com. (“gottwurfelt” is “God plays dice” in German; I used to have the domain godplaysdice.com but it got away from me.)
Other online presences that are me (this isn’t an exhaustive list):
People named Michael, Mike, or Miguel Lugo who have some sort of online presence and are not me:
- The coach at Lugo Boxing in Marietta, Georgia;
- The chef at Michael’s, a restaurant in St. Augustine, Florida;
- The television crew member;
- The real estate agent in San Antonio;
- The medical researcher;
- The chemical engineer Michael Lugo-Pimentel;
- The mathematician at Virginia Tech;
- The Assistant Fire Chief in Argyle, Texas;
- The graphic designer;
- The TV account executive;
- The ophthalmologist in central Florida, who also plays dominoes;
- The CFO for Goya Foods
- The civil engineer at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayaguez;
- The sit-down comedian in Los Angeles;
- The biochemist at the University of Guelph;
- The one who had his teaching credentials revoked.
Lugo is a city in Spain and also one in Italy; my father’s family (from where the name comes) is Cuban and there was immigration from Galicia to Cuba, so the Spanish one is probably the relevant one. I’ve never been to either one. Wikipedia has a list of people named Lugo; as far as I know I’m not related to any of them.